Table Standards and Guidelines
Standards are needed to ensure consistency in your application database and to protect your investment in the Repository. The following table naming recommendations are provided for "in house" application development, (as opposed to vendor "package" development).
Table names should be in the format xxxxxxnn where:
- A physical table name should be 6 characters or less and should not contain an '#' or '@' symbol.
- The xxxxxx part of the name should be 1 to 6 characters and as meaningful as possible given the size limitation. For example: CUSTMR- Customer Master, SALEHS- Sales History.
- Table names should be no longer than eight characters.
- Index names should use the base table name xxxxxx and add a sequence number nn . For example: CUSTMR01, CUSTMR02, CUSTMR03.
- Avoid the trap of trying to use meaningful index names (i.e., attempting to make the name reflect the order of the keys in some way). This is practically impossible to achieve consistently across any reasonable number of table definitions.
Please review the LANSA Object Names in the LANSA Technical Reference Guide.