1.2.7 Reference Field
Specify the name of the field which should be "referred" to. The new field will inherit the following characteristics from the reference field entered:
- Number of decimal positions
- Input attributes and Output attributes.
You cannot change these characteristics while the reference field is specified, and they are automatically updated if the reference field is changed. For example, if the length of the reference field is changed, the same changes will automatically be made to the fields that refer to it.
Initially, the prompt process and function are inherited, but you can change these details if required.
- The reference field must already exist in the repository.
- In an RDML partition, if the flag *IMPREFFLDNOPROP is in the system data area DC@OSVEROP, the input and output attributes will not be updated during an import or export. If the reference field is subsequently changed, the changes will be propagated to the fields referencing the reference field. For further information refer to Reference field propagation in import Export and Import settings of the LANSA for i User Guide.
- In an RDMLX partition, the attributes of a field that is defined by a reference field cannot be changed. The *IMPREFFLDNOPROP flag in the system definitions is ignored.
Tips & Techniques
- All LANSA modeling tools that use a data type approach, will use reference fields when building field definitions.
1.1 Field Types