20.2 Allocate the necessary PCs for testing your Deployment Package
Always test your Package before distributing it to customers. This can be a time consuming task but is essential to ensure a problem free installation.
Test your deployment Package by installing it onto any PC configuration you intend to support.
- testing on different operating systems
- including a PC with your minimum specification
- installating in different languages (if required)
- trying out variations on the SETUP values which are available to be modified during installation
- testing variations of the X_START values available when the application is launched
- testing with different DBMS types – Sybase ASA and MS SQL Server, as applicable
- checking any user authorization that may be required (both for the deployed objects and the deploying environment)
- testing installation of your Package from the medium or location it will be distributed to customers from (e.g. from a central server location or on CD-ROM).
- installing on a network client.
The more flexibility you include in your Package by prompting for X_START and installation values, the more testing you will be required to perform to ensure the Package is robust and complete.