1.2 What Can You Do with LANSA Client?
Without using any programming skills, LANSA Client allows you to:
- Retrieve data from a database on an Windows, IBM i or Linux machine. Knowledge of the database or SQL is not required.
- Specify that a query is to pause and request information before it runs (i.e. a prompt).
- Enhance the retrieved data by sorting it, grouping it and adding totals.
- Produce a chart using some or all of the retrieved data. LANSA Client offers a number of chart styles and you can view the same data in different chart styles simultaneously.
- Copy selected portions of the retrieved data and paste them into another application. This can be done using standard copy-and-paste.
- Save the retrieved data as a file. LANSA Client supports various file formats including database, spreadsheet and text formats.
- Save the query. The saved query can be used again later, with or without modification.
- Generate stand-alone applications which incorporate a number of queries. This allows queries to be run without first starting LANSA Client and is useful if you have queries that are run frequently or need to be shipped to a number of workstations.
- Change the retrieved data, and add or delete records. This feature is particularly useful for urgently required applications such as to record market research responses, for an application for a specific department or even for creating and changing test data.
LANSA Client provides full on-line help. This includes help about LANSA Client's facilities as well as help for the data you are retrieving from the host.