2.2 Visual LANSA General Checklist
Before starting, you should have:
- LANSA Windows DVD containing the LANSA for Windows software.
- A supported Microsoft Windows client or server operating system as appropriate.
- A server license code or a hardware key (dongle), of a type suitable for your installation type, for the machine on which Visual LANSA will be installed. A server license code may be requested before or after installing Visual LANSA. If you chose to request a license before installing Visual LANSA, you will need to download the x_cpu utility from the link on the Product License page.
- Windows administrator rights to avoid security problems during the install.
- Turned off your anti-virus software. Please leave it off while running the install/upgrade.
- Ensure that any LANSA applications that you already have are stopped before commencing the install. This includes Visual LANSA, Web Server, LANSA SuperServer and LANSA Open jobs.
- If you are installing onto a workstation running English, French or Japanese, the install will process in those languages. If your workstation is running in any other language, the install will start in English.
- A supported C compiler. By default, the Microsoft Visual C/C++ 2013 compiler is installed if a supported compiler is not found.
- Connection to host (LAN adapter or other connector).
- A supported database correctly configured. If an acceptable data source is not found, the Microsoft SQL Server Express database is installed. If you are using an existing data source for the Visual LANSA Repository, you will need to know the name of that data source.
- If Oracle is used, this database must be OFA compliant. For supported Oracle versions, refer to the Supported Platforms document for this version of Visual LANSA on the LANSA Web site.
- If Adaptive Server Anywhere is used, you will need to change the precision to 127 and the scale to 63.
- If MySQL is used, you will need to ensure the storage_engine is set to InnoDB (refer to MySQL documentation) and the character set must be SBCS, latin1. Please notice the Max Row Size of MySQL database is 65535, BLOB/CLOB columns are not included.
If you are connecting to a LANSA for i system
- The IBM i you are connecting to must be running a LANSA for i System at the same version as the Visual LANSA System being installed. During the install, you will be connecting to the IBM i to download the system data to initialize the new Visual LANSA System. Make sure the IBM i master system is fully operational, with the listener jobs started.
- It is assumed that you have the appropriate licenses for the IBM i Server.
- Ensure that you have tested the IBM i User Profile that you will be using by invoking LANSA for i using a 5250 terminal and:
- checking that it has a properly configured library list which includes QGPL, QTEMP, the LANSA for i program library and the LANSA Communications library.
- has a System Distribution Directory entry on the IBM i.
The recommended minimum Visual LANSA Slave Workstation requirements are:
- 10 Gb of free disk space. The total amount of disk space required is dependent upon the size and complexity of your application. The installation process will tell you how much space you need for the actual software that will be installed on your workstation.
- Color monitor with 1920 x 1080 resolution.
- DVD drive or network access to a DVD drive.
- 1 Gb graphics card with DirectX support.
After the installation completes
- After the installation completes, configuration tasks may be required before the LANSA software can be executed. For example, Web use and LANSA Integrator require that the servers be configured with the specific settings used by your site before you execute the software.
- If a database log on or communications link fails during a Visual LANSA installation phase, you may not have completed the system initialization. You do not have to reinstall the software. Simply log on to Visual LANSA to complete the initialization. The initialization program will be called when Visual LANSA is executed for the first time.
Depending on the required installation type, review the appropriate checklists for any extra requirements: