3.3 Portability Considerations
When working with files, you should be aware of the following:
- 10 character names for libraries will be truncated on the left to 8 characters. We recommend that you avoid this truncation by having library names that are 8 characters or less.
- Special characters in names (i.e. characters that are not A-Z, 0-9 or _ ) are replaced according to position. For example:
- A library named DEMPGMLIB would be renamed EMPGMLIB
- A file named DC@FILE would be renamed DC_FILE
- A file named @FILE would be renamed XFILE.
- Batch control files must be defined in the same library as the base physical file.
- Extended virtual code type Substringing using *RECORD is not supported.
- Complex logic check that calls a 3GL program is not supported.
- 3GL virtual code must be specified in ANSI C
- Select/omit criteria cannot span lines on a LANSA/AD screen panel for select/omit criteria. This means that each individual select/omit condition must be totally contained within 29 characters when using Visual LANSA. For example - COMP(LE 'XXXXXXXXXX') is valid COMP(LE 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX') is invalid.
- The following select/omit criteria keywords are supported COMP, CMP, RANGE and VALUES. The ALL keyword cannot be supported. Attempting to compile a file with the ALL keyword will result in an error in the file generation.
- The emulation facilities for IBM i select/omit criteria are only provided to support the reading of selected information from database tables. They are not provided to (or designed to) allow you to control what information is inserted or updated into database table rows. If you are using an application design that relies on the use of uniquely keyed logical files (with associated select/omit criteria) to control the content of the your database then you may have to revise this component of your design.