8.3.7 Activate an Abstraction
To activate an abstraction:
- select the Activate… command from its right-click menu, or
- select the Abstraction shape in the diagram and select the Activate… command from the Abstraction menu.
The model diagram will be re-drawn to show only the abstraction and the objects within it. The title bar of the modeler will be changed to indicate that the abstraction is active and being viewed.
- Only relationships between entities within the abstraction are shown, but entities outside the abstraction can be affected by changes to those within it.
- It is possible to drill down into abstractions if the abstraction themselves contain other abstractions.
- The relative positions of the entities in the abstraction may be changed once the abstraction is activated. Entities will assume these positions whenever the abstraction is activated.
- The scope of the Build Model function is limited to those entities within the active abstraction.