- Creating an entity is as simple as dragging and dropping the appropriate entity shape from the Document Stencil onto the model diagram. You will learn more about the different entity shapes in a later tutorial.
- Although field and file names are required when elements and entities are built, they do not need to be specified when the element or entity is first created.
- Note that a Save As… option is available on the File menu for saving a copy of your model under a different name.
Tips and Techniques
- Create elements within an entity as you think of them. You can re-sequence them at a later stage.
- It is recommended that you use data types when defining a logical model. Data types provide a level of abstraction to your design. They ensure that standards are enforced. For example, all Date fields will have the same formatting.
- The modeler will warn you if you have made changes to a model and are exiting without having saved your work.
What I Should Know
- How to create an entity.
- How to create, change, delete and re-sequence elements for an entity.
- How to set an identifying element for an entity.
- How to create user notes.
- How to save a model.