REP006 - Logical Views
In this step, you will create a very simple logical view over the file iiiDepartments created in the last exercise. This logical view will sequence the file by the iiiDeptDescription field.
1. Use your dynamic list, iiiLIST to open the iiiDepartments file in the Editor.
2. Select the Logical Views tab. It will list all of the defined views for the file (there are none yet).
3. Select the Add button on the Home ribbon and select Add Logical View from the list.
A new (incomplete) logical definition is added for the file. You need to specify the logical view details and key fields.
4. The Details tab should already be displayed. Enter the following details:
Your Details tab should now look like this:
5. Click on <New> under the Keys group so that you can specify the key for the logical view.
a. Place the cursor in the Field name field in the Details tab.
Note: A simple way to add a key field is to use the ellipsis button. This will show the Fields in File dialog, showing the fields which could be used as keys:
b. Select the iiiDeptDescription field, and click OK
Your completed logical view will appear like this:
6. Compile the file to make it operational. Remember that you have already compiled the file to build the table and OAM and have added data. Display the Compile options dialog. Check that your compile options are set as shown:
7. Check that the compile completed successfully.
8. Close the file.