- As shown in this exercise, the List component is a powerful control which supports both standard list and tree presentation.
Tips and Techniques
- This web page loaded all data initially. Of course, this would not be suitable for many applications where the data sets would be much larger. See exercise WBF120 for an example of loading the list data on demand.
- For your own commercial database you will need to consider carefully how to structure access to data on the server. For example, here it is practical to load all data from the server initially. In total there are a few hundred records. You might for example, load table files like Departments initially, but load lower level data (Employees and Employee Notes in this example) on demand, if there are very large number of records at this level.
- This web page should ideally have a feedback mechanism for the user while the initial data load takes place. For example, you could simple add a label across the top of the page, which initially shows "Please wait, we are retrieving the data".
What You Should Know
- How to implement the List component to give a tree presentation.