DTE075 – Create a Just in Time Server Installation
For you own JIT Server installation, you would install to a Windows server which is part of your office network and accessible for all-user desktops. For the purposes of this exercise you will install to your desktop.
1. In the Deployment Tool main dialog, select the JIT Server application Version 1 and use the Go to folder toolbar button to open Explorer in the …\x_apps\IIJITSRV folder within your Visual LANSA folder. For example:
C:\Program Files (x86)\LANSA_T13\X_WIN95\X_LANSA\x_apps\IIJITSRV
2a. For a Windows 7 PC, double click on the MSI file to start the installation. Your Windows profile must be a member of the Administrator group.
2b. For Windows 8 PC, start a command prompt using Run as Administrator:
3. Navigate to the IIJITSRV folder, for example:
C:\Program Files (x86)\LANSA\X_WIN95\X_LANSA\X_APPS\IIJITSRV
4. Enter msiexec.exe /I II (where II is your initials) and press Tab. The MSI file name will be auto-completed. For example:
msiexec.exe /I IIJITSRV_v1.0.0_en-us.msi
5. Then press Enter.
6. The Microsoft Windows installation program will run, processing the MSI file. A series of messages and dialogs will be displayed.
7. Click Next to continue:
A sample RTF file is provided, containing an End-User License Agreement. If required you can edit or replace this file to suit your company requirements.
8. Select the "I accept . . ." check box and click Next to continue.
9. Select the setting, Install just for you. This is suitable for training purposes.
Note: Your own JIT server install would be to a Windows server and would need to be installed for all users.
10. Click Next to continue:
If required, the install path could be changed by using the Change button to select a different folder.
11. Click Next to continue:
12. The Communication Ports dialog will be prompted for the JIT Server Listener. This is always prompted and overrides the value entered in the package definition.
Enter a suitable value for your PC.
13. Click Next to continue:
14. Select Typical and then click Next to continue.
If required the back button could be used to return to a previous dialog.
15. Click Install to start the installation.
A status bar is displayed while the installation continues.
16. When the install is completed, click the Finish button to close the install program.
With the Start JIT Server checkbox selected, the LANSA Server Licensing application will be started.
The JIT Server requires a single user SuperServer licence to operate. Use the New tab to install a license if you already have one. A License can be obtained via your LANSA vendor. See the LANSA Support web site for details on product licensing. (http://www.lansa.com/support/licensing/)
17.To generate a license request file for your PC or Windows server, you need to run the X_CPU utility on that machine.
Your JIT Server install will have installed the x_cpu.exe program and created a shortcut. See Step 1 in DTE075 – Create a JIT Server Installation for details.
a. Locate the X_CPU utility shortcut on your Start Menu.
b. Double click the Licenses – X_CPU Utility shortcut, to run it. The X_CPU utility uses a network card in your machine as part of the unique identity which it generates. This means it will usually display a command prompt as shown because your PC has more than one network connection. Always select the hardware Ethernet card. Option 1 in this example.
It will then display a message box, which provides the generated file's location.
c. Send the x_cpu file to your LANSA vendor, requesting a temporary SuperServer server licence.
See the LANSA Web Site for more information on licensing at:
18. The license is supplied as an XML file, which is loaded via the New tab in the Server Licensing program. The shortcut for the JIT Server application will initially run the licensing program. This records where the license is installed so that it is accessible for any LANSA application on this machine.
The license is only valid for the machine matching the X_CPU file details .
19. Your Just in Time server installation is now ready to be used.
20. In the main Deployment Tool window, select Version 1 for the IIJITSRV Just in Time Server application and click the Distributed toolbar button. The package objects may now be viewed using the View all object included in the package toolbar button, but the Package Maintenance dialog may not be opened.